Boat Licence Requirements WA, Western Australia

Getting a Boat Licence in WA

As of 1 April 2008, every skipper of a registerable recreational vessel powered by a motor greater than 4.5kwp (6 hp) (RST vessel) will be required to hold a Recreational Skipper’s Ticket (RST).

Recreational Skipper’s Ticket

To get an Recreational Skippers Ticket you will need to be assessed by an authorised assessor.  Find your nearest assessor.

Depending on your prior qualifications you may be able to apply for your RST through the Skills Recognition Scheme.

If you hold a current interstate licence it is recognised in WA for 3 months.  If you intend to stay longer than 3 months you will need to apply for an RST.

The Recreational Skipper’s Ticket Workbook contains everything that you can be assessed on from both a theory and a practical perspective.  You can collect a free RST Workbook from any Department office, an authorized assessor or you can download Workbook .

The RST is a certificate of competency, not a licence. It is purely about demonstrating the minimum knowledge and practical skills needed to operate a boat safely on the water.  It is based on a set of marine safety competencies that have been agreed nationally. The assessment of these competencies will be in two sections: theory and practical. Depending on your prior qualification you may be exempt from the assessment.

Interstate or overseas licences are valid for three months provided they are listed in the skills recognition section above.  After three months a RST is required if you intend to continue operating a vessel in the State of Western Australia.

Visit the WA Department of Planning and Infrastructure web site for more information on the Recreational Skipper’s Ticket.