Try this focaccia bread recipe with parmesan cheese, pitted kalamata olives, onions etc. – let your imagination be your guide!
220g bread flour
220g plain flour
7g sachet dried yeast
1 tablespoon caster sugar
310ml or 1 1/4 cups warm water (at around 40 C)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
6 roasted garlic cloves
2 teaspoons salt flakes
1. Combine flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Combine water, yeast, sugar in a small bowl and set aside in a warm place out of the sun for 5 mins until yeast begins to bubble.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the well in the flour
4. Add half the oil to the well
5. With a wooden spoon, gradually mix in the flour with the wet ingredients until the dough pulls together.
6. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
7. Pour ½ teaspoon of oil into a clean bowl
8. Place dough in bowl, turn once so oil coats both sides.
9. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel and allow dough to rest in a warm draught-free area for 45 mins until double in size.
10. Quickly knead for a couple of minutes
11. Coat baking tray with 1 tablespoon of oil and place the dough in the tray
12. Gently press dough into the tray to be 1.5cm thick
13. Pour remaining oil over the dough.
14. Using your wooden spoon handle, make the little dimples in the dough around 2-3 cms apart.
15. Half the roasted garlic cloves and push gently into dough
16. Sprinkle with Rosemary & Salt flakes
17. Then cover with the damp tea towel again an leave dough to rise for a second time (for 25 mins).
18. Preheat oven to 200 C whilst dough is proving for a second time.
19. Bake focaccia 25 minutes until golden brown on top.
20. Remove and serve (either warm or at room temperature)
Recipe by – The Cabin Fever Cook™